Monday, May 30, 2011

Another Memorial Day, Another History Channel Pawn Stars Marathon

OK, what's the deal? I know the names of a lot of the cable channels are meaningless now. I mean really, when was the last time you saw a music video on MTV (which initially stood for MUSIC Television, back in the '80s), or actually LEARNED something USEFUL on TLC (The LEARNING channel)? It's all about ratings, I guess. But on a day like Memorial Day here in the US, why can't the History Channel actually show something, I don't know, based on HISTORY, and not a pawn shop?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Pawn Stars on occasion (like when my wife isn't home because she HATES it). But a Pawn Stars Marathon on Memorial Day? What happened to all that WWII newsreel footage, or WWII in Color, or even the show I watched yesterday on the Yellow Rectangle channel (National Geographic or NatGeo as they've taken to calling themselves) on all the undiscovered bunkers under Berlin?

Seriously? I don't want to see Chumlee or Hoss today. Honest.

Another Memorial Day, Another History Channel Pawn Stars Marathon: "

Sigh. Today is Memorial Day in the US and along with marking the start of summer here, it’s a national holiday in which citizens are supposed to remember U.S. Serviceman who died while serving our country. Often those celebrations involve picnics, family time, and, here in the great state of Michigan, “going up north.” While I’ll argue all day that those events are the proper way to remember fallen soldiers, it bugs me to no end that it’s the History Channel’s seemingly new tradition to run back-to-back reality shows today rather something a bit more on topic. They have the available library. The station was, after all, primarily dedicated to all things war and US history up until a couple years ago when the reality shows invaded.


I pointed this out last year with a good amount of rage. But here I am one year later writing on the same topic, and I still don’t think it’s too much to ask for Band of Brothers instead of Pawn Stars.




"

0 comments: